We offer several options for advanced study in telecommunications and information science beyond a bachelor’s or master’s degree. The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) offers a highly-concentrated curriculum on the theory and application of the most current information field trends.
- 15-credit post-bachelor’s certificates
- 15-credit post-master’s certificates
- 24-credit post-master’s certificate in Information Science
- 24-credit post-master’s certificate in Telecommunications
Requirements and Prerequisites
- Official transcript
- Two letters of recommendation that attest to the applicant’s aptitude and motivation to pursue studies at a level beyond the bachelor’s or master’s degree
- Personal statement
- Successful completion of at least one three-credit college course with a grade of B or better in each of the following:
- Structured programming language. A course on structured programming using Java, C# or C++ is required. Either INFSCI 0017 Object-Oriented Programming 1 for Information Science, CS 0401: Intermediate Programming Using Java is recommended to meet this requirement.
- Statistics. A course covering data collection, descriptive and inferential statistics is optimal. It should cover measures of central tendency and variability, regression, correlation, non-parametric analysis, probability and sampling, Bayesian analysis, significance tests, and hypothesis testing. Either STATS 0200: Basic Applied Statistics, or STATS 1000: Applied Statistical Methods is recommended to meet this requirement.
- Mathematics. A college-level mathematics course, in discrete mathematics or calculus, is required. Any of the following Pitt courses are recommended to meet the requirement: MATH 0120: Business Calculus, MATH 0220: Analytic Geometry and Calculus 1, or MATH 0400: Discrete Mathematical Structures.
15-credit post-bachelor’s certificates
A BS/BE degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Technology, Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field with a scholastic average of a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better
15-credit and 24-credit post-master’s certificates
A MS degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Science, Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field with a scholastic average of a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better.